The Modern Languages Department in Bloomfield Collegiate School aims to foster interest and enthusiasm for language learning and to equip our pupils with linguistic skills that will serve them well in their future lives. We currently offer French, German and Spanish.
We aim to:
- equip each student with the desire to read, write and communicate confidently in a foreign language;
- provide opportunities for students to communicate and to learn to express themselves in foreign languages;
- promote understanding and appreciation of the modern languages and their cultures;
- promote tolerance, respect and understanding of other cultures; and
- improve your understanding of the vocabulary and grammar of English.
European Day of Languages
European Language Day takes place each year on 26th September and our pupils engage with a variety of activities to celebrate modern languages from across the world.
Crepe Day 2019
The festival ‘La Chandeleur’ (Candlemas or Crêpe Day) is celebrated in France on 2 February, 40 days after Christmas Day. It involves eating crêpes in the evening and there are some superstitions to go along with this tradition too…
- Toss the crêpe in the pan with your right hand while holding a piece of gold in your left – for good luck.
- Put the first crêpe in a drawer or on top of a wardrobe to attract prosperity for the coming year.