The study of English is traditionally seen as one of the key components in the education of the students at Bloomfield Collegiate School and the department is very much aware of the significance of English, not just in terms of the subject itself, but also in terms of the overall development of the individual in all subject areas. To that end, we try to ensure that each student is given the opportunity to develop their personal interests and strengths in all aspects of the subject.
In English, you will have opportunities to:
- extend your English language skills through thinking, listening, speaking, reading and writing;
- enhance your understanding, enjoyment and appreciation of the English language in its written, spoken and multi-modal forms;
- analyse and discuss a range of texts from different periods, styles, genres and contexts;
- understand how ideas are presented by analysing form, purpose, context, structure and language;
- convey ideas, feelings, observations and information effectively in written, spoken and multi-modal forms to a range of audiences;
- think critically about the ideas and arguments of others and the use of language to persuade and influence audiences;
- extend your competence in planning, creating, reviewing and editing their texts for precision and clarity, tone and stylistic effect.